En. Saidi Bundan sp - Welcome Remarks PADI CDTC 2015
WELCOME SPEECH BY
ENCIK SAIDI BUNDAN
DIRECTOR OF INDUSTRY DEVELOPMENT DIVISION
MEGA FAM PROGRAMME FOR PARTICIPANTS OF
PADI – COURSE DIRECTOR TRAINING COURSE (CDTC) 2015
PULAU TIOMAN, PAHANG
26 MARCH 2015, THURSDAY
Participants of CDTC 2015,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. First of all, I would like to bid all of you a very warm welcome to Tioman Island for this special Mega Fam programme, held in conjunction with the PADI – Course Director Training Course (CDTC) 2015.”
2. I would like to thank all the 26 participants from 16 countries for accepting our offer to be here. This is one of Tourism Malaysia’s efforts to position the country as one of the world’s major diving destinations. I hope all of you will have a memorable dive in the next few days to share with divers from your respective countries.
3. I would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate all of you for completing your CDTC qualification. I understand that it is one of the highest qualifications to receive as a diver, and I am sure all of you have worked hard and spent many hours diving to earn this qualification. Once again, congratulations.
4. I am proud of this CDTC event as it demonstrates Malaysia’s capability in catering to the strict demands of a sophisticated sport. As we all know, safety is crucial in diving, and I am glad that it is being upheld to the highest standards here in this country.
5. Furthermore, Malaysia is not only fully equipped with the human resource and infrastructure to cater to scuba diving enthusiasts, we are also lucky enough to be blessed with some of the world’s best diving spots, such as the islands of Sipadan and Mabul in Sabah, and right here in Tioman Island, Pahang. Scuba enthusiasts regard these islands as the holy grail of diving spots. Every year, we have tourists coming from around the world to enjoy the beauty and wonders of these islands.
6. Nevertheless, as members of the tourism industry, it is our job to not only promote our diving attractions, but also manage them sustainably. We hold the important responsibility of conserving the country’s ecotourism attractions and natural heritage for future generations.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
7. Diving is currently one of Malaysia’s most famous tourist attractions. We have over 40 dive destinations and marine parks. These attractions have generated significant revenue and income to the country. However, we must not view these attractions simply in terms of financial profit, we must also consider the importance of conserving the environment and maintaining the biodiversity of these ecosystems.
8. These dive sites do not only serve as an ecotourism wonder and attraction, they are also a source of knowledge for future generations. Malaysia is located in the heart of the IndoPacific basin, which has one of the world’s richest marine biodiversity. We must be careful not to irresponsibly exploit these ecotourism attractions, and prioritise sustainable tourism.
9. Global awareness on environmental conservation is steadily increasing, and many developed nations now practice sustainable tourism. As a developing nation, Malaysia cannot afford to be left behind. We must learn from these developed nations and be ahead of the curve – we must also start preserving our environment and ecotourism attractions now.
10. To that end, it is vital that preservation and conservation efforts be carried out continuously to ensure the future wellbeing of our environment and ecotourism attractions.
11. On behalf of Tourism Malaysia, I would like to urge all of you to play your part in these conservation efforts, and create an awareness of not only the beauty and wonder of our diving attractions, but also their importance to future generations.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
12. I hope that this 4-day programme will be a wonderful experience for all of you. On behalf of Tourism Malaysia, I would like to express my gratitude and appreciation for your presence here. We are relying on you to help us promote Malaysia as a diving paradise among your families and friends.
13. On that note, I would like to thank all of you once again for your participation in this Mega Fam programme. I wish you all an enjoyable and memorable stay in Malaysia.