Datuk Rashidi DSG Speech F1 Gala Dinner
Y.BHG. DATUK RASHIDI BIN HASBULLAH
DEPUTY SECRETARY GENERAL (TOURISM)
MINISTRY OF TOURISM & CULTURE, MALAYSIA
THE PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX GALA 2015
KUALA LUMPUR CONVENTION CENTRE
26 MARCH 2015
(Bahagian Pembangunan Industri to provide)
1. A very good evening and Selamat Datang to all. On behalf of the Ministry of Tourism & Culture, Malaysia, and the Malaysian people, I’d like to extend a warm welcome to all distinguished guests at tonight’s PETRONAS Malaysia Grand Prix Gala 2015. We warmly welcome the Formula One fraternity, the Federation Internationale de L’Automobile (FIA), the team principals, the drivers and their teams, the international media community, and Formula One fans from near and far.
2. This gala dinner marks the beginning of a highly-anticipated
race weekend – the Formula One PETRONAS Malaysia
Grand Prix 2015 at Sepang International Circuit.
3. The progress and development of the Formula One championship in Malaysia since the inaugural race in 1999 has been tremendous, particularly in its contribution towards the nation’s tourism industry.
4. The Malaysian leg of the race has garnered a popular following both among Malaysians and international fans. The race itself has established the Sepang International Circuit as one of the toughest race circuits in the championships. And Malaysia has become all the more known as an international sports venue and tourist destination with excellent sports facilities, modern infrastructure, exotic culture and beautiful landscapes.
5. Without a doubt, the Formula One championships has proven to be a significant means of promoting Malaysia on the global stage with large spillover benefits to the nation’s economy.
Ladies and Gentlemen:
6. The Formula One Petronas Grand Prix is just one of many events throughout the year that has added a vibrant atmosphere for Malaysia as an exciting tourist destination. Together with Malaysia’s diverse culture, exotic islands, lush natural landscape, modern cities, and delicious cuisine, visitors will simply be able to enjoy a vast range of unforgettable experiences during their stay here.
7. It is in this spirit that I hope for all of you to explore the rest of Malaysia at a much slower, indulgent pace. After a weekend of turbo speeds on the Sepang race tracks, I invite you to relax and unwind in the rest of Malaysia. For the ultimate in luxury vacations, Malaysia offers deluxe escapes where you can live in a world of your own making, so very affordably. The Malaysia GP Sale is currently on-going at major shopping destinations in the country offering the best bargains. And, and this being the Malaysia Year of Festivals, we are showcasing even more of our culture, festivals and traditions throughout the year.
Ladies and Gentlemen:
8. On behalf of the Ministry of Tourism, Malaysia, I would like to express my sincere and deep appreciation to the major driving forces of the Formula One PETRONAS Malaysia Grand Prix namely, the Federation Internationale de L’Automobile (FIA), PETRONAS, and Sepang International Circuit for their concerted effort in making this race in Malaysia possible.
9. I would also like to acknowledge the special role of the media,
especially those present tonight, in helping to promote and
highlight Malaysia to the world. I also wish to thank the tour
operators and travel agents for their partnership with us.
10. My appreciation also goes out to all the sponsors for their support and generosity all these years. Last but not least, to the Formula One teams, I wish you all the best in this weekend’s race.
11. Thank you.