Dato' Mirza DG tp - TM ODs Meeting - Session with DG - pointers
TALKING POINTS FOR
Y.BHG. DATO’ MIRZA MOHAMMAD TAIYAB
DIRECTOR GENERAL, TOURISM MALAYSIA
SESSION WITH DIRECTOR GENERAL
TOURISM MALAYSIA OVERSEAS DIRECTORS MEETING 2014
MULTIPURPOSE HALL, TOURISM MALAYSIA, PUTRAJAYA
9 JAN 2015, 3PM
Y.BHG. DATO’ HAJI AZIZAN NOORDIN
Deputy Director General (Planning)
Y.BRS. MADAM CHONG YOKE HAR
Deputy Director General (Promotion)
Directors of Divisions,
Ladies and gentlemen,
Assalamualaikum and Salam Sejahtera.
OPENING / PLEASANTRIES / OBJECTIVES OF MEETING:
1. Welcome - overseas directors, marketing representatives and state directors.
2. Objectives of Meeting:
- update ODs and marketing reps – tourism development in Malaysia;
- share marketing strategies and direction, and;
- discuss and deliberate on issues related to TM and tourism industry.
3. Sessions during ODs Meeting 2014:
- YBM – 12 Jan, Monday
- Session with Division Directors – 13 January, Tuesday.
- Chairman Y.Bhg. Tan Sri Dato’ Sri Dr. Ng Yen Yen - will host a dinner – 11 Jan, Sunday.
4. Other Sessions:
- Presentation by Perbadanan Putrajaya – on Royal Floria Putrajaya- 9 Jan
- Islamic Tourism Centre (ITC) – 13 Jan, Tuesday
- Malaysia Convention and Exhibition Bureau (MyCEB) – 13 Jan, Tuesday.
5. Product updates over the weekend.
- Presentation by Mitsui Group
- MUD Show
- Presentation by DBKL
- Resorts World Genting
- Motivational Talk by Stu Lloyd
Ladies and gentlemen,
KEY MESSAGE 1: PERFORMANCE & TOURISM MALAYSIA’S ACHIEVEMENTS IN 2014:
6. October 2014 arrivals – 2.25 million – increase of 6.7 percent – compared to 2.11 million for the same month of 2013.
7. Total January – October 2014 & 2013 arrivals:
Jan – Oct 2014 Jan – Oct 2013 Change
Tourist Arrivals 22.86 million 20.86 million Up 9.6%
8. Marketing Support:
? ‘MALAYSIA TRULY ASIA’ video sang by Yuna was nominated in several international Film and Video Festivals and has won:
i. 1st Place – 2014 Golden City Gate Tourism Media Awards in Berlin – ITB Berlin 2014 – 4 March 2014.
ii. Award for Eco Tourism and Responsible Travel under the category of Public Awareness Campaign – 3rd Deauville Green Awards – at Mutliplex Le Morny in Deauville, France – 17 to 19 June 2014.
iii. Bronze - 35th Annual Telly Awards – under the category of Film / Video in New York, USA – June 2014.
iv. Gold – PATA Gold Awards 2014 – Macau – July 2014.
9. Information Technology Division:
? 2014 – TM website recorded – 5.5 million visits – number of page views 12.5 million views.
? Trip planner mobile app – 48,750 downloads
? RM101,563.59 Expedia transactions for airline, hotel and package bookings online through TM website.
? Produce 360 degree videos – featuring 5 destinations
? TM website received Bronze – Excellence in Government Marketing category from the Marketing Excellence Awards 2014 – organised by - Advertising+Marketing Magazine.
10. Industry Development:
? 2014 – Golf Tourism – RM312 mil in revenue and 965,934 round of golf (ROG) – compared to RM304 in revenue and 946,003 round of golf in 2013.
? Malaysia – Asia’s Best Golf Destination – by World Golf Award in Algarve, Portugal.
? Els Club Teluk Datai – World’s Best New Golf Course and the “Best New Golf Course in Asia” award.
? Cruise – Welcome receptions for – AIDAsol and Sapphire
11. Research Division:
? Tourist arrivals (up until October 2014)
? Tourism receipts (for January to June 2014)
? Produce Publications:
- Malaysia Accomodation Directory 2014
- Malaysia Tourist Profile 2013
- Malaysia Tourism Key Performance Indicators 2013
- Malaysia Tourism Statistic in Brief 2013
- Malaysia Domestic Tourism in Brief 2013
? Organise a seminar jointly with PATA – PATA Capacity Building: Increasing Destination Competitiveness Through Data & Analytics.
? Networking Session with Hoteliers on the Performance of Tourism Industry in Malaysia for 2014. (road shows to all states in Malaysia).
? Two studies:
- Study on the Effectiveness of Visit Malaysia Year 2014 Campaign
- Study on The Repositioning of Pulau Perhentian as a premier
12. Communications & Publicity Division:
? Mega Fam Secretariat – performance 2014:
- Total No. of Events Done: 19 events
- Total No. of Events Dropped: 6 events
- Total No. of pax: 1381 pax
- Total Publicity Value: RM 16,868,712.11 (as at 31 July 2014)
? Malaysia Tourism Awards 2012/2013 – judging committee for 12
categories and 47 awards.
13. Advertising Division:
? Advertising activities in 2014 – reached average target groups (domestic and international) – 679 million (print media readers), 870 million (electronic media readers), and 1 billion (viewers).
? Global advertising campaign – through 21 medium – e.g. CNN International, Sky News, STAR Channel, AXN Asia, History Channel, Asia Food Channel, TV5 Monde, Eurosport, etc.
? National Geographic Channel – special 30-min documentary – “Nick Baker’s Eco Malaysia” and “Exploring Malaysia with Nick Saxon”.
? Ad-Hoc advertising campaign – e.g. Taxi Wrap in Yokohama, Tokyo, etc; giant banner on bus and taxi wrap in conjunction with WTM London.
? Digital advertising campaign –
- Web TV-TrulyAsia.TV: Cumulative ‘page views’ for 2014 – 19,955,907 and cumulative ‘web visits’ – 9,015,804.
- ShareMY Social Media Platform: Facebook – Malaysia Truly Asia (80,806 likes); Twitter – tourismmalaysia (200,598 followers); Facebook – Cuti-Cuti 1Malaysia (2,010,241 likes).
- Others: Yahoo!, Lotour.com, Islamic Travel Newswire, Google.com, etc.
Ladies and gentlemen,
KEY MESSAGE 2: CHALLENGES IN 2014 & RECOVERY PLAN:
? MAS flight MH370;
? kidnapping of a Chinese tourist in Sabah;
? recent flooding in the country – it’s the worst in
more than 30 years.
15. Recovery Plans:
a) Postponement of Advertising and Promotions in China.
? In April 2014 – suspended.
? Beginning May 2014 – resume.
b) Establishment of Crisis Management Committee in China.
? 18 March 2014.
? Managed by TM Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.
? TM HQ – crisis meeting was held with tourism associations and airlines.
c) Working Trip to China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.
? 10 to 18 March – meeting with senior government officers and tourism industry players.
d) Direct Communication with Officers from PRC Embassy
? 10 April – YBM & Members of Parliament – courtesy call – Ambassador of PRC.
? 22 April – Ambassador of PRC – courtesy call – YBM in Malaysia.
? 12 May – Chairman of TM – follow-up meeting with PRC Ambassador.
e) Focus Shift to 2nd and 3rd Tier Cities in China.
? 2 nd tier (Hangzhou, Wuhan, Nanning, Kunming);
? 3 rd tier (Yinchuan, Taiyuan, Hohhot);
? Promotion on Sabah - focus on Kota kinabalu and western Sabah.
f) Organise CEO Mega Fam Programme.
? 26 April to 3 May 2014 – restore the confidence of the CEOs of PRC’s travel agents.
? Held in Penang, Royal Belum