<

Old Johor Fort Kota Johor Lama

The Old Johor Fort or Kota Johor Lama was the site of fierce wars amongst the local Malays and outside invading forces.

It was built in 1540 during the reign of Sultan Alauddin Riayat Shah II (1528-1564). This fort was the best defence fort built along the Johor River at the time.

After the fall of the Malay Sultanate of Malacca in 1511, Johor River became the administrative centre and defence fort to counter- attack the Portuguese position in Malacca.

The natural environment of the fort made it easier to supervise the movement of the ships especially the threat from the Acehnese and Portuguese.

In 1587, the fort fell to the Portuguese. The whole fort was burnt down and all assets including weapons were taken.
View Map